Certificate III in Floristry
Flowers to Impress School of Floristry (RTO # 32420)
Term 1 - Introduction to Floristry
Term 2 - Classical Design
Term 3 - Running a Florist Shop
Term 4 - Sympathy Design
Term 5 - Modern Design
Term 6 - Wedding Design
Course Name: SFL30115 Certificate III in Floristry
Be a florist!
Being a florist is a most rewarding and exciting career where you can express your creative talents, work with one of nature's beautiful creations and touch the lives of others by helping them communicate through the medium of flowers.
Is this course for me?
This course is open to the general public, but particularly to experienced employees in the floristry business. This certificate can follow on from immediately from Certificate II in Floristry. You will need to complete Certificate II in Floristry or demonstrate equivalent skills.
SFL30115 Certificate III in Floristry is expected to take 1-2 years of full time study. The course includes classroom lecture and practical sessions 1-2 days per week followed by work experience in the floristry industry and supported on-the-job application of skills.
What will you learn?
Term 1 - Includes basic principles of design and retail sales skills and experience
- The mechanics and principles of contemporary and classical design
- Care and handling of cut flowers
- Tools of the trade
- Floristry arrangements including posy, corsage, table arrangements
Term 2 - Includes tools of the trade
- Sympathy designs using a base medium
- Create floristry designs using wiring techniques
- Retail skills including shop maintenance, procedures and merchandising
- Customer service
(Exit Point, Certificate II in Floristry (Assistant) SFL20115)
Term 3 - Includes sympathy designs and customer service experience
- Range of contemporary and traditional bridal design
- Construction techniques
- Effectively communicating with the bride
- Planning a wedding
- The symbolism of flowers
- Knowledge of the floristry industry
Term 4 - Includes Contemporary Bridal Design, the meaning of flowers and marketing weddings
- How to create a window display
- Flowers for special occasions
- How to control stock and save money
- Business principles of floristry
Term 5 - Includes Principles of Modern Design and business principles of floristry
- Developing drawing skills
- Constructing wired floristry products
- Preparing quotes
- Exploring the use of colour
Certificate II in Floristry (Assistant) is expected to take two terms. Face-to-face classroom presentations are followed by work experience in the floristry industry and supported on the job application of skills.
Certificate III in Floristry is expected to build on Certificate II in Floristry (Assistant) and take a further three terms to complete.
SFL30115 Certificate III in Floristry has the following units:
- SFLDEC001 Maintain floristry tools and equipment
- SFLSOP003 Recognise flowers and plant material
- SFLSOP004 Receive and store floristry stock
- SFLSOP001 Source information on floristry products and services
- BSBWOR202 Organise and complete daily work activities
- SFLSOP006 Display and merchandise floristry products
- SFLDEC005 Assemble floristry products
- SFLSOP005 Prepare and care for floristry stock
- SFLSOP002 Work effectively in the floristry industry
- SFLSOP007 Interact with floristry customers
- SFLWHS001 Participate in safe working practices
- AHCNSY204A Maintain indoor plants
- SFLDEC006 Construct hand tied floristry products
- SFLDEC008 Construct floristry products with a base medium
- SFLDEC012 Interpret floristry design briefs
- AHCNSY303A Install and maintain plant displays
- SFLDEC002 Design floristry products
- SFLSOP009 Sell floristry products
- SFLSOP001 Source information of floristry products and services
- CUVACD201A - Develop drawing skills to communicate ideas
- SFLDEC007 Construct wired floristry products
- SFLSOP010 Prepare quotation for floristry products
- BSBDES301 Explore the use of colour
Where is it?
The practical and theory sessions will take place in the classroom at Flowers to Impress School of Floristry, Shop 1, 33 Bell St Mall, Toowoomba. There will also be workbooks to complete at home and you will be expected to gain work experience at a practicing florist shop.
What if I'm not in Toowoomba?
We also run sessions in other locations and online. We also conduct training in the context of traineeships (new worker, existing worker & school-based). See our Regions page or contact us to find out more about study in your location.
How much study is there?
You will be expected to complete workbooks for the knowledge component of the retail sales unit. You will be expected to complete a bridal project and complete a botanic project.
What is in it for me?
This course is designed to increase your skills in areas required to be successful in the floristry industry. Participants can gain employment in the floristry industry or continue towards further education in the floristry sector with Certificate IV in Floristry. Also, you could continue with your studies in the retail industry in general as many units of competency pertain to the Retail Training Package.
Successful completion of the program enables you to apply for these types of jobs:
- Senior florist
Or enrol in another course of study such as:
- Certificate IV in Floristry or
- Certificate IV in Retail sales
How do I get in?
You must demonstrate a skill level equivalent to Certificate II in Floristry (Assistant) to enroll in Certificate III in Floristry.
Applicants to the course may be interviewed to determine your experience and training needs. You may be required to undertake a literacy assessment in order to demonstrate competency at the required level.
Language, Literacy, and Numeracy requirements
This course requires effective language, communication, and interpersonal skills. You will be expected to work with customers and other staff members.
You should be able to read and understand a range of simple texts and write a range of short answers. You should be able to deal easily with straightforward calculations either manually and / or using a calculator. If you need further assistance, we can offer you language, literacy, and numeracy assistance beyond the course hours for an additional fee for service.
How am I assessed?
Assessment is competency based. At the end of each term there will be short-answer theory questions and a demonstration of practical floristry skills.
We will also take into account your written workbooks for retail theory. We will ask for you to complete a logbook to verify your practical experience in the workplace.
Flowers to Impress School of Floristry recognise AQF qualifications and Statements of Attainment issued by any other Registered Training Organisation (RTO). If you have completed some of this qualification with another RTO, then please contact your course coordinator for credit transfer.
Recognition of Prior Learning
If you are a practicing florist and you believe that you have the skills and knowledge covered by this qualification, then you may apply for Recognition of Prior Learning.
- Contact our staff to discuss your past experience and / or qualifications in floristry.
- Provide a portfolio of evidence, oral or written questions to substantiate claims
- Demonstrate your skills and current competencies.
Evidence should demonstrate an acceptable level of floristry skills and current industry knowledge.
Cost of Recognition of Prior Learning is: $3360.00
Additional training to fill any gaps will incur an additional charge of $500.00 per day.
An enrolment fee of $300 is required prior to the beginning of the course. This is a once only payment and is non-refundable. The cost for each term is $1450.00 (excludes flowers) and must be paid in full by the end of the term.
Cost includes: tuition, workbooks, floristry materials and assessment.
Student provide: flowers (lists are provided).
All fees and charges will be outlined to students before enrolment for courses offered by Flowers to Impress. Should Flowers to Impress cancel any course, participants are entitled to a full refund or transfer of funds to a future course. An initial non-refundable deposit of $300.00 will apply to all courses, payable two weeks before course commencement. No refund is available to participants who leave before finalising the course or unit of competency unless they can provide a medical certificate or show extreme personal hardship. In that case, fees may be refunded on a pro-rata basis.
All monies received are entered into the Flowers to Impress accounting system and are not accessed until the course commences.
Flowers to Impress has a comprehensive record keeping system to track payments and ensure pro-rata refunds for eligible students.
How do I apply?
For full time or part time study, please contact the team at Flowers to Impress. An enrolment form is available from our offices or via the links below..
Each person will be interviewed to determine if this course is right for you.
Our commitment to you:
Upon completion of each unit of competency, you may choose to exit with a Statement of Attainment for competencies achieved.
When you complete all the course work and assessments, you will be awarded the certificate for SFL30115 Certificate III in Floristry.
For further information, contact the Flowers to Impress School of Floristry team:
Ph: (07) 4638 2727 Mobile: 0414 522 610
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org